There are so many occasions when your session day comes, and you are stressing because you do not know what to wear! Gone are the days where everyone wears the same outfit. Below is a "what to wear guide" by photographer/designer, Corrina Nielsen.
- Coordinate outfits
- Use colors & patterns
- Be timeless
- Let your personalities SHINE
- Dress for the season & location
- Personalize It
- Remember where you came from
- Plan ahead
- Keep make up natural, but still have some on
- Outfit changes
- Ladies & their shoes
If I were building outfits for my family this is how I would do it:
- Keeping your location and season in mind, start with one person. Don’t try and think of everyone at the same time. I find that mom or a little girl makes the most sense since they would typically be the ones wearing a print. So mom will be wearing a floral print dress (small pretty pattern that is).
- Now move on to the next person. You will be pulling colors from mom’s dress so begin to think about who in the family would look good in what colors. Dad doesn’t look so good in XYZ since it tends to drown out the tone in his skin. Let’s pick ABC for him instead. And so on.
- Then start to come up with ideas to personalize the session. A little boy may have a security blanket or teddy bear he never parts with…. be sure to bring that with you. The little girl may like crafting so have her make a cute matching headband or clip for her hair. Mom loves tulips… on your way to the session pick some up. Make thoughtful choices and be sure to discuss the ideas with your photographer! Believe me, most are full of ideas however, it’s always nice when the family helps and truly ensures a “custom” session.